The Daily Mile is an outdoor movement that gives your students and staff a chance to reset. The Daily Mile improves whole-child health and academic achievement. It decreases disciplinary referrals and builds resilience. Get this free, turnkey program started in your school district today!Read on below
“The Daily Mile is a whole-child initiative. It makes the child complete.”
– Jerry Gibson, Superintendent, Galveston Independent School District
What is The Daily Mile?
The Daily Mile is a life-changing opportunity for children and the adults who lead them. It is a solution to healthier, happier, more engaged students! The Daily Mile is a whole-child movement that takes kids outdoors to run, jog, roll or walk for 15-minutes each day. But it’s so much more than that. Created by an elementary school principal and her students, it is proven, effective, and sustainable. The Daily Mile is free for your school family … forever. Watch the video above to learn more!
The Daily Mile serves nearly 4 million children in 85+ countries. It is in all 50 states in the USA including rural, suburban, and urban schools. The Daily Mile is open to all schools of every socioeconomic status including public, private, charter, and home schools. Check out the Global Map and follow these Core Principles for success!
Here’s why your school district should join the movement …
Students improve their social-emotional well-being. They boost their ability to manage emotions, set & meet goals, foster positive relationships, and make good decisions.
Classroom management plans improve! Schools minimize time out of class for behavior with this proactive Positive Behavior Support and Intervention Strategy. This leads to better behavior, more time on task, and happier teachers.
Students improve their academic achievement. Problem-solving, focus, concentration, and memory improve with this physical activity.
Classroom and campus morale increases as teachers connect with students outside the rigors of class.
Teachers feel empowered as they decide when their class does The Daily Mile. Overall teacher wellness improves, too!
What do teachers say about it?
Listen for yourself to what current Daily Mile advocates say about the initiative. We’ll give you a hint: they love it and you will, too!
How do I start The Daily Mile at my school district?
- Talk to your administrators and teachers. Try The Daily Mile with just one class and experience the benefits. Watch it grow to the whole school and then the whole district!
- Sign up with The Daily Mile to access exclusive resources and get your district listed on the community map.
- Work with a teacher or PE teacher to implement a pilot. use the Implementation Guides for a simple, step-by-step plan for success!
- Check out the Resources page for more free tools.
- Visit the FAQs for more information.
My school district already does The Daily Mile. How else can I be part of the community?
- Superintendents across the nation are united for the wellness of their children. Every school in the USA should have an opportunity to feel the benefits of the movement. Invite other schools to impact their school with this life-changing tool! Here’s how you can start the conversation!
- Join The Daily Mile community Facebook Group.
- Provide a quote about your experience as a Daily Mile superintendent.
- Share a story of your district’s experience with The Daily Mile.
- Share a photo or video of your district doing The Daily Mile.
- Join our Newsletter to stay up-to-date on news and free resources.
- Follow The Daily Mile on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Learn about the adult initiative, The Daily Mile Fit For Life.