The Daily Mile is a whole-child movement that connects physical and social-emotional health. Students build community, connectedness, and resilience. As a result, problem-solving skills improve while disciplinary referrals decrease. Join the movement at your school today!Read on below
“I love how teachers and students connect during The Daily Mile. That is what creates a sense of belonging. That’s what we need more of for the whole child’s wellbeing.”
– Marisa Bible, SEL Specialist, Galveston Independent School District
What is The Daily Mile?
The Daily Mile is a life-changing opportunity for children and the adults who lead them. It is a solution to healthier, happier, more engaged students! The Daily Mile is a whole-child movement that takes kids outdoors to run, jog, roll or walk for 15-minutes each day. But it’s so much more than that. Created by an elementary school principal and her students, it is proven, effective, and sustainable. The Daily Mile is free for your school family … forever. Watch the video above to learn more!
Here’s why your school should join the movement …
Students improve their social-emotional wellbeing. They improve their ability to manage emotions, set & meet goals, foster positive relationships, and make good decisions.
Schools minimize time out of class for behavior with this proactive Positive Behavior Support and Intervention Strategy.
Students improve their academic performance because physical activity improves problem-solving, focus, concentration, and memory.
School morale increases as teachers connect with students outside the rigors of class.
Teachers feel empowered as they decide when their class does The Daily Mile. Overall teacher wellness improves, too!
How do I start The Daily Mile at my school?
- Talk to your school principal or district superintendent. Try The Daily Mile with just one class and experience the benefits. Watch it grow to the whole school!
- Sign up with The Daily Mile to access exclusive resources and get your school listed on the community map
- Find a teacher who is willing to try the program. Work with that teacher to implement a pilot. use the Implementation Guides for a simple, step-by-step plan for success!
- Check out the Resources page for more free printable classroom tools.
- Visit the FAQs for more information.
Check out the Social Emotional Learning page for fun printables to help you start The Daily Mile in your school!
My school already does The Daily Mile. How else can I be part of the community?
- School counselors across the nation are united for the wellness of their children. Every school in the USA should have an opportunity to feel the benefits of the movement. Invite other schools to impact their school with this life-changing tool! Here’s how you can start the conversation!
- Join The Daily Mile community Facebook Group.
- Provide a quote about your experience as a Daily Mile counselor.
- Share a story of your school experience with The Daily Mile.
- Share a photo or video of your school doing The Daily Mile.
- Join our Newsletter to stay up-to-date on news and free resources.
- Follow The Daily Mile on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Learn about the adult initiative, The Daily Mile Fit For Life